Outback FAQ

Do you have Keflavik airport pick-up?

Yes, we offer Keflavik Airport Shuttle which drives you to/from Keflavik Airport and our office in Reykjavik. We also recommend the FlyBus and getting picked up in the Reykjavik Area by us. Another way of transportation is taking the Flybus to Reykjavik and then the bus/ a taxi to our office in Nethylur 2c, 110 Reykjavik.

Are there any hidden fees?

No, there are no hidden fees. Every amount that can be charged is displayed to costumers upon request.

Can I camp anywhere?

There are some restrictions to camping in Iceland. Here is a link to a site that has all the info you may need: http://www.ust.is/einstaklingar/frettir/frett/2016/06/30/May-I-camp-anywhere-/

Am I allowed to drive on F-roads?

Yes, our cars are modified to drive on F-roads. Keep in mind that driving on unmarked roads and/or sandy areas is illegal and police can file lawsuit for such actions.

What is included in the rental?

The CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) insurance is included in all rentals. That sets the excess of the renter to €4200. All prices include unlimited kilometers. 24% VAT is also included in every price.

What extra insurances do you offer?

We offer the SCDW (Super Collision Damage Waiver). It can be purchased additionally. The SCDW covers the same damages as the CDW but loweres the excess of the renter to €2000.

GP (Gravel Protection) can be purchased additionally. Most likely you will be driving on unpaved roads where small rocks shoot in all directions. They may hit the car and damage the paint, windscreen, headlights etc. Gravel damages may happen on paved or unpaved roads. The GP loweres the cost of such damages to zero.

SAAP (Sand And Ash Protection) is recommended especially if you‘re travelling in the south of Iceland. The CDW and SCDW do not cover damages by sand, gravel, ash or any kind of earth material blown on the vehicle. Sandstorms do occur in Iceland and they can cause great damage to the vehicle. Sometimes they get so powerful that small rocks my be blown in the air and break windows. Sandstorms can damage the paintwork so that the car may need repainting.

What is not covered by my basic insurance?

a. Intentional damages or damages caused by gross negligence on the part of the renter.

b. Damages resulting from the driver being under the influence of controlled or illegal substances, or in any other way being unable to operate the vehicle in a safe manner.

c. Damages occurred by a race or test driving.

d. Damages occurred by war, revolution, civil unrest, or riots.

e. Damages caused by animals.

f. Holes and marks burned into seats, carpets, or mats.

g. Damages affecting only wheels, tires, suspension, batteries, glass (other than windows), radios, or loss by theft of parts of the vehicle and damage resulting from this.

h. Damages caused by driving on rough roads, e.g. to the transmission, the drive or drive shaft, and other parts in or attached to the chassis. Damages to the chassis, or any part of the car, resulting from the vehicle scraping bottom on rough roads. The same applies to damages occurring when stones are thrown up, striking the underside of the car while being driven. The underside of the car is not insured.

i. Damages resulting from driving in places where driving is banned, such as paths, tracks, banks of snow, ice, unbridged rivers or streams, beaches, places only accessible at low tide, or other trackless areas. The car is not insured when crossing rivers or driving in water of any kind. River crossing must be done with extreme care.

j. Damages to the car caused by driving on mountain roads and roads marked F on a map or a road sign, including Kjölur (road 35), Kaldidalur (road 550) and Sprengisandur (road 26) routes. (This does not extend to 4wd and all wheel drive cars accepted by Outback for use on mountain roads – approved cars are insured on all marked roads and tracks).

k. Water damages to the car, its electrical system, accessories or engine.

l. Damages caused by sand, gravel, ash, pumice, or other kind of earth material being blown onto the vehicle.

m. No compensation will be paid for damage caused by sea spray/seawater, if the vehicle is transported by sea.

n. Reference is made to the general conditions for accident insurance (Icelandic: kaskótrygging) as set by VIS insurance company at www.vis.is

How old do I have to be to rent a car?

The renter/driver shall be 20 years old at least and shall have held a valid driver‘s license for at least one year before the rental commences.

What documents will I need when I pick up the car?

The renter /driver shall present a valid driver‘s license and a valid credit card.

How much of the rental do I pay up front when paying with a card

All costs shall be paid for before the rental commences.

I don't trust online card payments, are yours safe to use?

We use a certified payment provider to process all card payments. All credit card information is encrypted and secure. We do not hold or store full credit card information through our website, that is our payment provider‘s role.

Can I rent a car without a credit card?

Unfortunately no, that is not an option with Outback Car Rental.

What happens if I have a collision?

In case of a collision or accident, the renter should immediately contact the police as well as Outback and notify that there has been an accident. Renter may not leave the scene of accident before the police have arrived or an accident report (included in all Outback cars) has been properly filled out. The renter shall immediately report any damages to the car to Outback.

What happens if the car breaks down?

We have a team that is very familiar with our rental cars. In case of a breakdown you can call a number that is located on the contract. We offer a round-the-clock service because your time in Iceland is valuable. Breakdown service may be charged for, depending on if the damage can be traced to reckless driving or if driving on unmarked roads.

Do you have a rescue service?

Yes we do. We have a rescue car that is always ready to save you in case of dangerous conditions. Our rescue car is a Ford Econoline 4x4 modified with 41.5 inch tyres. Please note that getting rescued by our rescue car does cost according to our price list.